Friday, July 24, 2026

Be Prepared

I carry a small first aid kit whenever I hike.


I bought it many years ago at REI.  I think it was called "The Optimist".  Over the years I have adjusted its contents, mostly adding stuff that would have been useful if it had already been part of the kit.

Although it's a good day when the kit stays hidden in my pack, it's been useful on more than its share of occasions.  For example, when we were walking through Slovenia last year, both the tick removal tweezers and emergency eyeglass repair kit were put to good use.

When I stepped off the trail for a moment to investigate some "ruins", my rain pants snagged on some old fence wire, causing a 5" tear.  The duck tape and scissors in my first aid kit made short work of the repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment